Zespri® Kiwifruit & Prawn Tom Yum Soup
- 2 Zespri® Green Kiwi fruit, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 chicken carcass & bones (about 600 g) cleaned and cut into chunks
- 200 g large prawns, shelled and de-veined
- 2 cm (30 g) galangal, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large lemon grass, trimmed 12 cm from base and bruised
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 4 stems coriander root, bruised
- 6 – 8 bird chillies, bruised
- 60 g fresh button or oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium squid (about 150 g), cleaned and sliced into 2 cm rings
- A few sprigs of coriander leaves
- 4 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Nam Prik Phao (Thai chilli paste), optional
Developed exclusively for Zespri by popular Malaysian chef Rohani Jelani
Place chicken bones in a large pan and cover with 1.3 litres water. Bring to boil and turn down heat. Skim to remove scum and simmer for 45 minutes. Add reserved prawn shells and heads. Simmer for another 20 minutes. Take pan off the heat and strain stock – discard solids.
Measure 1 litre strained stock into a clean pan. If less than 1 litre, top up with water. Bring stock to boil and add galangal, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, coriander root and chillies. Simmier for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, measure seasoning ingredients. Mix all ingredients and stir well. Set aside. Add mushrooms to the simmering stock. After 3 minutes, add prawns and cook till pink and firm (about 3 minutes).
Add prepared Zespri® Green Kiwifruit and seasoning mixture. Stir and turn of heat. Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with coriander sprigs. Serve immediately.